Emmanuel Church was founded in 1844 as a part of what was known as Bannister Parish. Although the Church of England had established a number of chapels in this area, they mostly fell into disuse after the Revolution. Many of the clergy returned to England because the glebes on which they lived were sold. The Church in the tidewater hung on, however, and eventually found its way west, through the efforts of men like The Reverend George Dame who founded both the Church of the Epiphany in what is now Danville and Emmanuel, at what was then known as Pittsylvania Court House.
Return to Home Page